It’s a shock to the system for many households during lockdown, not just because we are forced to spend every waking hour together, but also that we are now feeding everyone 3 meals a day. So have you run out of ideas yet? have you got bored of the same old meals yet? are you craving something tasty,different, and dare we say it- healthy?!!
Here is a great recipe for easy to make veggie nuggets. Not only are they really tasty and healthy, but great fun to make for the kids and adults.These instructions show how adults and children can both take part in the making process. So get your aprons on and get started!
- 175g carrots
- 550g of broccoli florets ( if using the stalks too, remove the outer skin first)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 eggs
- 75g seasoned breadcrumbs -(either use panko breadcrumbs or make your own with stale bread, salt, pepper and italian seasoning into a blender)
- 170g cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 50g grated mozzarella cheese
Instructions: Here we have given some suitable tasks for the children and the adults ( or older siblings)
Set the oven to 350 degrees, 160 fan oven, 180 conventional oven
- Adult: Shred carrots with either a food processor, mini chopper or a mandoline
- Child: Steam broccoli in the microwave until tender (about 2 mins)
- Together: Place broccoli, carrots, half of the breadcrumbs, garlic, eggs, cheese, black pepper and onion powder in a blender and pulse for 15 seconds. The mixture should form easily into a ball. If it’s too crumbly, add water one teaspoon at a time until you have the correct consistency.
- Child: Take a tablespoon of mixture and form into balls. (You should get about 24 nuggets).
- Child: Place remaining breadcrumbs and mozzarella cheese in a shallow dish. Roll each veggie nugget in the breadcrumbs until liberally coated.
- Child: Place veggie balls onto a greased baking sheet. Gently push down on the balls to form nugget shapes
- Adult: Bake for 10 minutes, turn the nuggets over, then bake for an additional 2 minutes or until brown
These veggie nuggets make a great snack or as part of a main meal. They can be frozen individually to be used at a later date also. What’s not to love???
Image by createkidsclub.com