As a new parent it’s so hard to know what kids want. It’s hard to believe but a child up to the age of 5 only, and I can’t stress this highly enough, ONLY needs safety, security and the permission to show their emotions. Crazy eh!
So when and where did the world decide that they had to also have a room full of soft toys, the latest trainers, in all colours and a mobile phone to play games on?
As if parenting wasn’t hard enough, the pressure put on us to encourage our children to be the best, but also allow them to find their own ‘best’! Encourage their artistic or sporting talents, but let them know that everyone’s a winner! Yep it’s a minefield where at least once we are going to step on a trigger or two.
So what do kids actually want from us?
The Top Ten Things Kids Really Want Their Parents To Do With Them
- Come into my bedroom at night, read me a book, tuck me, sing me a song. Also tell me stories about when you were little.
- Give me hugs and kisses and sit and talk with me privately.
- Spend quality time just with me, not with my brothers and sisters around.
- Give me nutritious food so I can grow up healthy.
- At dinner talk about what we could do together on the weekend.
- At night talk to me about anything; love, school, family etc.
- Let me play outside a lot.
- Cuddle under a blanket and watch our favourite TV show together.
- Discipline me. It makes me feel like you care.
- Leave special messages in my lunch bag.
Wow I wish someone had told me all this 30 years ago- I may still have some auburn roots 🙂